Valley Diabetes & Obesity
Gopika Gangupantula, MD, DABOM, FAAFP, BC-ADM, CDCES
Diabetes and Obesity Specialist & Family Physician located in Modesto, CA
Type 2 Diabetes is the most common type of diabetes. Dr. Gopika Gangupantula offers comprehensive services for patients seeking necessary management of this chronic condition. At Valley Diabetes & Obesity, Dr. Gangupantula provides family support and nutrition counseling or management, all ensuring customized treatment. Each patient’s plan for management differs based on lifestyle, degree of illness, mindset, and health goals. Contact her practice, located in Modesto, California to schedule a consultation and start improving your health today.
Type 2 Diabetes
What is Type 2 Diabetes?
Type 2 Diabetes is a strain of diabetes that also affects the way your body handles the glucose in your blood. The majority of people with diabetes have type 2; their bodies do produce insulin, but their cells don’t use it as it’s intended.
What causes Type 2 Diabetes?
It’s a combination of conditions that cause type 2 diabetes. Standalone conditions that contribute to insulin resistance include:
- Extra weight
- Metabolic syndrome
- Excess glucose from the liver
- Bad communication between cells
- Broken beta cells
Dr. Gangupantula can best assess your factors for developing diabetes.
What are symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes?
Symptoms of type 2 diabetes tend to be very mild and barely noticeable. Possible signs that you may be affected include:
- Being very thirsty
- Urinating frequently and a lot
- Blurry vision
- Tingling or numbness in your hands or feet
- Feeling worn out
- Wounds that don’t heal
- Recurring yeast infections
Contact Dr. Gangupantula as soon as you suspect you may be affected by Type 2 diabetes.
What are risk factors for Type 2 Diabetes?
Several characteristic risk factors may make you prone to type 2 diabetes. Having these traits that are out of your control might make it statistically more likely for you to be affected, but won’t give you the disease:
- Being 45 or older
- Having a parent, brother, or sister with diabetes
- Being of a certain ethnicity: African-American, Alaska Native, Native American, Asian-American, Hispanic, Latino, or Pacific Islander-American
Some health-related risk factors that may be controlled with Dr. Gangupantula’s help includes:
- Heart and blood vessel disease
- High blood pressure
- Low HDL (“good”) cholesterol
- High triglycerides
- Being overweight or obese
- Having a baby that weighed more than nine pounds
- Having gestational diabetes when you were pregnant
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (POS)
- Acanthosis nigricans (a skin condition)
There are also risk factors related to your daily habits and lifestyle that are within your control:
- Getting little or no exercise
- Sleeping too little or too much
How can I maintain my health with Type 2 Diabetes?
In addition to following Dr. Gangupantula’s suggestions and management plan, you can make simple changes in your daily life that can improve your health:
- Lose weight
- Get active
- Eat right
- Quit smoking
As a Diabetes and Obesity Specialist, Dr. Gangupantula can help you maintain your health. Visit her practice to receive a personalized health plan.